Separation or divorce can be a long, and grueling process, during which communication should be of top priority. Advice from a divorce therapist can help you maintain mental sanity and comfort during a potentially chaotic time. While productive conversations can seem impossible, remaining cooperative and polite is crucial, especially when children are involved. While you may be separating, you will still be parents for the rest of your lives.
What is Divorce Counselling and Therapy?
Separation and Divorce therapists at Mind + Zest can offer counselling that can help you:
- Understand your reactions to loss and stress
- Explore the potential reasons for the split
- Understand what the future might hold for you and the other party now
- Communicate with your partner in productive ways
- Explore and deepen your support systems
- Recommend appropriate services
- Identify and access personal sources of strength and understanding
- Communicate with other loved ones during this tough time
- Talk with your children about this major life shift
- Try to facilitate a reuniting if there is hope and space for that
- ‘normalize’ complex feelings, behaviors and thoughts
How does Divorce Therapy at Mind + Zest work?
We begin with a 15-minute intake session with one of our dedicated intake specialists.
In these 15-minutes, we dig deep, and try to identify the issue you are looking to address. We then assess the best approach at treatment. We also try to get a good sense of your personality. At Mind + Zest, we want to match you with the therapist that would make the best possible fit based on what you need, and who you are. This consultation is also a great opportunity to address any concerns or questions you may have.
At the end of the session, our intake counsellor will set you up with a tailored ‘plan of action’ that includes the recommended divorce/separation therapist best suited to help you, the recommended duration of your therapy, and a suggestion for any further testing or psychological service they feel would best fit your needs.
Readings on Divorce and Separation & Therapy
“The Good Divorce” by Contances Ahrons (1995).
“Conscious Divorce – Ending a Marriage with Integrity” by Susan Allison (2001).
Divorce and Separation Counselling in Toronto and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Divorce/Separation Therapy in Ontario and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
We offer a wide range of services at Mind + Zest which include: Therapy for separation and divorce, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) with divorce therapists, and marriage management counselling.
If you or someone you know is struggling, don't hesitate to reach out. The Mind + Zest team here to help. Click below and get connected to a therapist as quickly as today!